You might be wondering, “Do I need a smartphone to use Google Home”?
The answer is no, you don’t need one to enjoy all the benefits of this device, however, you will need one to set up the Google Home initially.
In fact, there are many features that work without a phone, including playing music, getting news updates, accessing weather forecasts, and more!
Don’t worry if you don’t have a smartphone, as you won’t need to rush out and buy one just to use your Google Home. You could easily use another member of your family’s or a friend’s smartphone to carry out the installation.
If you do want to set up your new device, the best way is to download the Google Home app from Google Play or Apple’s App Store onto a compatible phone with an internet connection.
Although your Google Home will not require a Smartphone after setup, it will require WiFi to be available in your home or office.
Read on for a complete guide on how to set up your Google Home as well as some other interesting facts about these devices.
Setting up Google Home
Setting up Google Home is very straightforward.
Google Home devices come with a small instruction manual, but the most important thing you’ll need to know before installation is that your device needs WiFi in order for it to work.
Follow the steps below to successfully set up your Google Home:
- First of all download the Google Home app from either the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Next, plug in the Google Home or Google Home mini to a power outlet.
- While the device is powering on, open the Google Home app on your smartphone and select the Accept option to agree to the Terms of Service.
- Next, select Turn on Location. Your phone might prompt you to allow Home to access this device’s location. Select Allow.
- Your phone will now disconnect from your house WiFi and will instead connect directly to your Google Home device.
- Once connected, the Home app will ask to play a test sound from the Home device to ensure that you have connected to the correct one. Select Play Test Sound.
- Select the I Heard It option if the sound played on the correct device.
- From the next screen, choose which room in your house the Google Home device will be kept in.
- Next, when presented with the Get WiFi password from this mobile device, select Ok.
- Next, select Sign In.
- Type in your Google account email address and password.
- You will be presented with a series of screens to set up the Google Assistant. Follow the instructions on these few screens.
- On the Link your music services… page add the music services that you already have an account with such as Spotify or Google Music. Select Continue.
- Your Google Home is now set up.
The setup process for the Google Home will connect the device to your Wi-Fi so that you can use Alexa without a smartphone.
What can I use Google Home for?
You can use a Google Home to:
- play music
- set reminders and alarms
- manage your grocery list
- control smart devices in the home like TVs or thermostats
- play games
- get weather reports
The device also has a built-in speaker that you can use for hands-free phone calls and audio chat.
Your Google Assistant is always getting smarter as it listens to more requests from customers which means that users will be able to do things like order pizza through their voice using Google Assistant without having to touch anything else on their mobile device!
What happens to your voice requests when you’re offline?
When you are on a mobile device, but not connected to Wi-Fi or cellular service, some features will work and others may not. You’ll still be able to play music from Prime Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, Spotify Premium, and Pandora Premium with a Google Home without a smartphone; however other tasks like setting reminders and alarms won’t function properly because they require internet connectivity.
How to add apps to your Google Home with a smartphone
You can extend the capabilities of your Google Home by installing apps through the Google Home app. Google Assistant apps are third-party applications that are built by both Google and other companies.
To add an app to your Google Home follows these instructions:
- First, open the Google Home app on your smartphone.
- At the top right of the screen, tap your account.
- Select Assistant settings and then select Explore.
- Take a look at the list of apps available for the Assistant.
- If you find one that you wish to add, tap the card.
That’s all there is to it.
After you’ve enabled the app, make sure to say “Google open ________” and then whatever it is that you added.
How to add skills to your Google Home without a smartphone
Unfortunately, it isn’t currently possible to add apps to Google Home without a smartphone.
Unlike the Amazon Echo, you can’t install apps just by using a voice command.
What sort of smartphones is compatible with Google Home?
The vast majority of smartphones will be compatible with Google Home. The main requirement is that your phone has Bluetooth and be on the same network as Google Home.
The minimum requirements are:
iPhone: You need a recent model iPhone with an iOS version of 12 or newer.
Android phones: Android devices running OS Lollipop and above are compatible with Google Home, as long as they also have the Google Assistant app installed.
The Google Home device can be used without a smartphone but requires either an android phone that is on lollipop software or iPhone iOS 12 or above.
What are Google Home and the Google Assistant?
Google Home and Google Assistant are voice-activated smart speaker devices that you can use to control your online world. You can talk to it for weather updates, traffic reports, or just for some music. It’s also a powerful assistant because of its ability to connect with other apps on your Android phone, iPhone, iPad, or Windows Phone device.
The Google Assistant is a virtual assistant for Android devices that lets you control your phone and find information, such as directions or when the next train leaves.
We hope that you have found this article useful.
The Google Home is a fantastic device, and it can be used without using your own smartphone!
It’s possible to set up the Google Home initially with just your phone or tablet, but after setup, there are no other requirements for smartphones to interact with your Google Assistant
Google Assistant apps can be added on a Google Home but you will require a smartphone to do this.